Saturday, October 20, 2007

reflections of life



"St John Ambulance volunteers a caring lot


By TAN KARR WEI
Photos by ONG SOON HIN


The realisation that he could help save lives spurred 19-year-old college student Lim Wil Liam to continue contributing his time as a St John Ambulance Malaysia (SJAM) volunteer.
“Once we were taking an old lady who was about 60 years old to the hospital when she stopped breathing. I performed cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on her and she started to breathe again,” said Lim, who is studying business at Kolej Damansara Utama.

He learnt first aid skills as a St John member in school and he became a volunteer as a way of giving back to the organisation.

While Malaysians were enjoying the long Hari Raya weekend break, Lim and other volunteers were standing by at the SJAM emergency control centre in Jalan Shelley, off Jalan Peel, Kuala Lumpur."


[Metro, The Star, 17 October 2007]



Why I post up this entry? Because when I was reading this article, it brought back many memories when I was still a cadet/first aider of St.John Ambulance Malaysia (SJAM). Yes my friends, I was a first aider and i saved lives though I don't look like one. I joined when I was in Form 1, then all the while till Form 5. One thing you might don't know about me, but I love to march! Really I do. Kiri, kiri, kiri kanan kiri... It's just fun! Not forgetting the first aid skills I've learned but I doubt if I still remember. Hehe. Can't blame me cause my first aid certificate is expired two years ago. So, If I happen to see anyone who needs help, I can't volunteer to help.


Anyway, the first aider in the article above, Lim Wil Liam, is actually my friend that I got to know through SJAM. He was my junior at that time but I was surprised when I saw him in the newspaper. I never expect he will join SJAM as adult member (take note that we are encouraged to join as adult member after completed secondary school because we are no longer a cadet then) because I think he is the one in a million of cadets that will join adult. It is not easy to join as adult member because it needs alot of commitment which I failed miserably to commit myself.



- HeadQuaters of SJAM

I know SJAM's HQ doesn't look impressive but who cares right? We are here to safe lives.


St.John Ambulance Malaysia. For The Service of Mankind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heheh, i was also a St. John cadet when i was form 1 and 2. I don't remember much, other than marching like idiots under the hot sun, passing the first aid theory exam but failing the practical, and spending many, many hours begging for money...

Anonymous said...

Re:Jet
Whao, I didn't know you were a cadet also. Spending money on the uniform? Yea, it's pretty expensive. Plus the accesories right? Begging money=Flag Day? That was a tough job, hehe! However, I enjoyed marching..pshyco huh?

秋天的落叶会美吗? said...

huh uncle!!! haha.. u cant say liek tat leh... cos many ppl keep join adult!!! u duno meh.. aiyo.. when free go bac hv a look.. when they having the state comp... go bac n hv a look la... got ur favourite sir!!!! wahaha.... tat stupid pig.. yuck....n ar. u insulting ppl dun join SJAM.. haha. bad la u... bu ar. stjohn in aus.. damn yeng man...i love them!!!

-hanz- said...

Re:Carmen
Oi aunty, I didn't ask other people don't join adult wor. Many people? Well, i don't see wor. You also didn't join lah. Eh, Mr.Wang is your favourite sit o, not me! Hehe! Nah i tell you, you don't simply simply pretend want to faint just to see those SJAM guys! Buat malu only..hehe